We are Nasi Lemak Christians

    So now, for the Malaysian scene as a Christian. What is the point of calling myself Malaysian if I choose not to use 

a Malaysian like analogy? For non-Malaysian readers, Nasi Lemak in direct translation is called fatty rice. 

Lemak is fat. Nasi is rice. But it actually is Rice cooked with coconut milk and pandan leafs with the usual

 condiments of hard boiled eggs, anchovy, ground nuts, cucumber and sambal (a form of chilly paste). 

But for the rest of the terms I may be throwing out, well, there is Google. How everyone argues which ingredient is

 important varies and you will know why I am using Nasi Lemak as a means of analogy to describe the kind of 

Christians I observe in Malaysia. But my hopes as I lay this before you is that you come to understand as a whole

 the kind of battles Malaysian Christians may face and the kind of questions they may be asking. 

Because then these are the battles and questions that are then brought online. 

First off, Nasi Lemak Christians has nothing to do with the logo on Malaysian Christian Memes page. 

The Nasi Lemak in the logo was just a way I chose to identify Malaysian Christians. Second this is by no means 

trying to create a new terminology but rather an analogy to better relate and engage us as Malaysians. 

 

    Thank you Dr. James Harding, my former dean of my seminary St. Paul's Theological College, 

inspiring this in me years ago when he taught me Foundations in Theology introducing the idea of Nasi Lemak

 Theology. I will unpack what I am observing now (which means my views are purely my own with biasness 

and a more specific perspective) and where I believe we might be heading. But first I would need to elaborate 

why I use the term 'Nasi Lemak'. Also do keep in mind an analogy is an analogy which serves to give a picture. 

In no way it can ever serve to represent what the original idea is.




Why Nasi Lemak

Funny moment, so I asked my colleagues what is the most important part about nasi lemak, they all shouted

 “SAMBAAAALLLLL” and I was like “No!”. After explaining, I drew out the obvious, which was in its name itself. 

The rice. The rice that was cooked with coconut milk with the fullness of fragrance is key to any well, 

NASI LEMAK there is. So I likened our faith and theology to Nasi Lemak. 

 The rice represents the core doctrines of what we believe

The kind of doctrine where if you take it out, it is not Christianity anymore. The doctrine of Sin, the Trinity, 

to work of redemption, or the nature of Christ. Just read the Nicene or Apostle's Creed as an idea of what

 demarcates the parameters to our faith. That is the rice part. 

The sambal, anchovy, egg, groundnuts, and cucumbers are key parts of what makes the nasi lemak good and

 distinguishable. But if taken out does not change the important and core ingredient but they are the usual must 

haves. I likened this to secondary core doctrines that reveal the values of how one runs the church. For 

example the anchovy could be how the sacraments are carried out (especially the Eucharist), the sambal is how 

worship is done, and the cucumbers could be church governance. Keep in mind this is still an analogy. So hang in 

there with me. 

 

Then comes the rendang ayam (Some kind of chicken with a curry paste), fried chicken, cockles, and all those extra

additions that we add to our Nasi Lemak. They are either special distinctives or preferences. Like the Village Park

 in Damansara Uptown is known for their fried chicken in their nasi lemak. The nasi lemak in Bumbung is known for

their crispness of the chicken. Other places known for making sure they serve the nasi lemak on a banana leaf. Some

 shops do not even have a name but somehow the flavour of the nasi lemak is just right. The rice may be more

 fragrant than others. The sambal is spicier than others. Likewise, some churches are really good in how they run 

their life groups, some churches are good in how they do liturgy, some churches when you think of them have a clear

 system in their discipleship process. But we need not be naming churches today. 

 

The church too is like a Nasi Lemak. Just like there are all sort of nasi lemaks with different variations, the church

can differ in terms on their secondary doctrines, how it is practiced, the intensity of it, and how it is governed. In all 

those nasi lemak places I  initially suggested, I would not eat Village Park's Nasi Lemak and then Bumbung's one and

say one of them is not nasi lemak. I would immediately recognize both as nasi lemak, but I will just say it is different.

But clearly nasi lemak. But the moment you just give me white rice without the coconut milk even with all the other 

ingredients, I may say it was a good dish but I will struggle calling it a nasi lemak. Likewise the moment you take out

the core doctrines of what the gospel is, you can have a sunday service all you want and the appearance of 

Christianity but I will struggle if there is no Christ in the church who is the head of the church. 

 

Hence denominations could be different nasi lemak(s). Some have more sambal, some add prawn to their sambal, 

some substitute kang-kung for cucumber but you clearly know they are nasi lemak. And within different 

denominations how they sprea the sambal and what goes into the sambal itself differs too! You get my flow right? 

If not, I apologise. Then you get those who will argue on which nasi lemak is better. Some will share how they need

more sambal and need the sambal to bathe every grain of rice. Some cannot take it spicy hence their nasi lemak is 

without sambal and some call them weak for not being able to handle the spice. Some will say that is okay. Some 

claim to be allergic to nuts so have to take it out. (The analogy may fall short in light of church but hear me out) 

 

Translate that to church now. Some argue that only an organ is necessary for worship while others are fine with a 

full band. Some insist the sermon takes the centre stage of a church service while others argue for a holistic liturgical

church service. Some argue that the Eucharist or last supper is really the body of Christ while others say it is 

symbolic. Take a look at church history to know what has been discussed, debated, and argued. Just like nasi lemak, 

denominations have both worked together and fought against each other for various reasons. 

(Question to ask yourself is, if they are all nasi lemak then why fight? and if they fight, are they fighting merely

from preferences?)

That is right, we are Nasi Lemak Christians. Sadly instead of just acknowledging we are eating nasi lemak, 

we end up categorising. While categorising itself is not an issue, we end up also demonising some. Me included.

 Oh you are that SS2 nasi lemak gang, always the santan lacking one. Oh yeah I've heard of the Bumbung nasi 

lemak, quite dangerous leh, some say they fry their chicken with plastic, you seriously go there to eat?! 

Wah Village Park nasi lemak gang, always crowded and a little over hyped. Cannot enjoy the nasi lemak, 

it is quickly eaten and then I have to cabut (leave). Imagine this is how we generally talk about our churches in Malaysia?

 If you feel called out then I shall reference a Malaysian idiom. Siapa makan cili, dia yang rasa pedas. Meaning, 

whoever eats the chilly he will feel the spice. Where has the unity of the church gone? This is despite the fact that

 the churches will naturally affirm that they need to be teaching the Word correctly, not forget the poor, and disciple

 faithfully.This is despite that I know pastorally we need to protect the sheep from destructive teaching or useless 

foolish babbles as Paul would have told Timothy in 2 Timothy 2. It is not easy to discern throughout all of this 

and emotions do run high. 

I will give you an example. There was once I said “Manchester United sucks” and a dude was like 

"no joke bro, they are not my family but I will beat you up to a pulp if you say that again man, I ain't kidding" 

True story. That sort of passion was brought into football. Same goes the passion we bring into our church sometimes. 

 

So perhaps Nasi Lemak Christians or church looks something like this photo


Singularity

So here is where we are at. By the way if someone can find a better word than 'singularity' please do. 

I have been thinking about it. But there are two things I see in all of this nasi lemak theology. 


1. As we grow in Christ, I do not know about you, but the reality of my brokenness and the brokenness of the 

world is seen ever more clearly. The elitist thought patterns do not exist just in one theological group but in every

 group the reaction is similar. When it comes to understanding theology, the speaking of tongues, whether social 

work is done, to the group that lacks it, they are then looked down upon. Church history can inform you better 

than I can. But I am just fleshing out the idea. Self-righteousness exists 


2. Because of all the squabbles that have been happening in the 21st century, having progressive Christianity 

growing and liberal ideas, there also has been opportunities to iron things out. There has been sufficient 

conversations going on concerning the faith and it definitely challenges what being a conservative Christian

 is and where we are on the spectrum. So we are starting to see Christians having a more "wholesome" type of 

Nasi Lemak or at least figuring out the right mix. You know the kind where a christian can say that his/her type of 

nasi lemak is the rice from Ampang, chicken from Bumbung, vegetables from uptown and they are okay with it. 

 In short, it is like a christian saying he is a complementarian in marriage, a conditional continuationist in regards 

to the gifts of the spirit in the church, consubstantiation in the Eucharist, Covenantal in theology, a 

congregationalist in church governance and not really adhering to one type of denomination but recognising

 different denomination is definitely able to draw out an aspect of God biblically. 

This is but an example. I am unsure whether such a combination exists. 

By taking different aspects of Christianity from the different denominations, if not contradicted perhaps would

 potentially provide a more holistic image of God instead of the possibility of being boxed in your own 

denomination. I am not saying there will come a time that we will do away with denomination. But I am

 sensing this sort of singularity type Christians popping up. This is but a personal observation of the type of 

Christianity that is growing in the midst of what we see today. Yes there will still be progressive Christianity, 

Christians tied solely to their denominations and teachings only, heretics masked as Christians, ultra

 conservative Christians and what not. But just as Jesus called the disciples of all kinds from fishermen

 to tax collectors to unite under His name, now the Spirit is at work doing the same thing albeit perfection

 and His timing differs from our view. Here is why I say yes to a growing singularity (be it for better or worse)

Yes because I have always said that right theology does not save. We are always growing to know Him better. 

But right theology is what the Holy Spirit has revealed through His word progressively as I grow. 10 years ago

 how I understood God was different and in fact at times perhaps wrong. But God was patient and gracious to 

continually grow me. Even I related to my earthly father differently as I grew and that is the reality. Can you

 imagine Jacob for a moment? Did you think he instantly had  correct or right theology? He received what he

 had from his father Isaac who got it from Abraham holding on to a promise that God will make him a nation 

but never truly saw the nation. Wrestled with God. Lost his son. Could not handle four wives. Through it all 

chose to have faith in God alone. While there were times he failed, God was faithful. Obviously there needs to

 be growth as well. If I had a three year old child and you asked him whether he loved me as a father and he 

replied yes. You then ask him why and he goes “Because my daddy plays with me, buys me stuff, and reads 

me bedtime stories” you would not doubt the child’s love albeit the reasoning seem shallow. But that is how

 the three year old would relate. But if my child turns 20 and gives the same reason why he loves me, then 

something is off with his growth and intimacy with the relationship he has with me as a father. Correct? 

Yes also because Ephesians 4: 4-6 says "There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when 

you were called; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in 

all." Also because Ephesians 1:9-10 says "9 he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, 

which he purposed in Christ, 10 to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfilment—to bring unity to all things in 

heaven and on earth under Christ." So we know in Christ there is a uniting factor and oneness by which the mission was 

not just spiritual unity or personal unity but all things in heaven and on earth.

Guess what, this unity being drawn out is a tangible observable unity. Not organisational unity which is important. 

Not theological unity which is important. But by the fact that in John 13:34-35 calls us to love one another just as how 

He loved so that by this people will know you are my disciples. And in John 17 of Jesus' prayer that they remain

 as one just as he and the Father are one so that the world will believe that Jesus was sent by the Father. 

 Living out the life that God intended in the beginning of creation where he is Lord and we are his 

ambassadors having dominion over the earth that reflects His glory. Ultimate then regardless of which camp,

 category or denomination our faith reminds us that it is first historical in the sense where it is based on the

 resurrection of Jesus as informed in the Bible which calls us then to be biblical (1 Corinthians 15). 

We are then to learn our context and be wise and situational in how we proclaim the gospel rather than end up 

being nasi lemaks fighting each other. Because by fighting each other we show the world that we are

 not one as how Jesus prayed or us and do not be surprised the natural outcome then is that the world does 

not believe. 


Moving Forward

I am just sharing what I am seeing. As time passes by, more Nasi Lemak shops will open.

 More people will be introducing new types of nasi lemak. Some wear it as a badge of honour that they have 

nasi lemak ice-cream and some do nasi lemak burgers while others will argue it is not really nasi lemak. 

Like how we wonder, is matcha ice-cream really matcha tea variant or just flavouring? As time passes by, 

arguments will ensue and new forms of nasi lemak will continue, some clearly communicating why they are a 

pandan nasi lemak and how there is a need for pandan nasi lemak. Fighting will continue simply because it is

 more than preferences, it is in the space of convictions. They will say that if the groundnuts are not present with 

the rice then it is not really nasi lemak. If the sambal is not mashed with the eggs and rice then the flavour will 

not come alive. They may say broccoli is the better vegetable substitute because cucumber lacks fibre compared 

to the rest. (Do you not find it hilarious that I am speaking of nasi lemak but you are able to relate it to church 

instantly?) But it is what it is and I do not know how to solve this sort of disunity that is portrayed now. 

What I do know, I know God's grace supersedes all this and every church is trying their best to be faithful. 

Okay earlier on I did mention where we are heading, biblically speaking we know there will come a time 

where every knee shall bow and confess that Jesus is Lord. With all this popping up I do hope we remain

 humble and clear on what our nasi lemak is and as times change we be sensitive to the Holy Spirit who 

reminds us of all that Jesus taught and is our advocate who journeys with us through these fast changing times. 

 I am not hoping for the best, but waiting for the hope of glory when Christ comes again and makes all things new.

 Brothers and sisters, victory is already won and hope is sealed in the resurrection. But as of now I am confronted

 with this reality of brokenness even within the church. At times pathetic, at times makes me prideful, at times 

makes me sad but at times, a real privilege to be part of His narrative in His kingdom building.. Even Paul 

says in Romans 8 "Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we 

wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved."

The question before me is not a new question but hopefully the readers will come alongside with me to ask

 themselves, what does the gospel compel us to do? How does the gospel break through the brokenness? 

What are you going to do about it?


But in all these answers can we start with growing our church? We who have the role to rule the way Jesus intended with love and truth. As Royal Priests. We all are quick to comment on this pastor and that preacher and that church and this church (I do it too, it is a fun topic). While there is wisdom in identifying and marking out concerns for churches and preachers I throw that question back at myself how will I reach out to them who have the issue. Where is the line to consider them as broken brothers and sisters in Christ or just wolf in sheeps clothing? That is when I rely on the Holy Spirit to grant me the humility and wisdom. Here is a meme just for laughs. 

Writer: Eddryll 
Author's views are his own and does not represent the entire team

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theological reflections of a Theological Orphan

He Bang you?